Dark Magician Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark Magician Academy

This Academy(forum) is ruled by the Dark Magician. You will learn the dark arts so that you can survive in a duel.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Card Rulings and Mechanics

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ezalor_2510
Skilled Dark Magician Dorm Member
ezalor_2510

Deck Master : Cyber Dragon
Shadow Tokens : 1177

Card Rulings and Mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:06 am

If you are having any troubles with card rulings and effects or anything about the game, Ask them here.

Sometimes, when you are dueling, you'll get into a situation wherein you and your opponent just don't know what to do because of certain rulings. If so, put your situations here and "we'll" try to clear things up for you Chibi

I'll try to edit this first post with the answers to any card ruling requests and I'll try my best to get the ruling for you (lolz)

Here are some of the rulings that I think needs clearing up:

Basic Gameplay:

Intermiate Gameplay:

Advanced Gameplay:

Expert Gamplay:

Missing the Timing:
Sometimes an optional effect can only be activated "when" a condition happens. In this case, you are only allowed to activate the effect when the activation condition being met was the last thing to happen in the game. If something else happened after the activation condition was met, then you have missed the timing, and cannot activate the optional effect.

Here are some examples:
For example, consider the following rulings:

If "Peten the Dark Clown" is Tributed for a Tribute Summon, the last thing that happened was that a monster was Summoned, so the effect of "Peten" does not activate.
This is because you first Tribute "Peten the Dark Clown" as a cost, and afterwards the other monster is successfully Tribute Summoned. The last thing to happen was not "Peten the Dark Clown" being sent to the Graveyard, so it misses the timing.

If "Peten the Dark Clown" is Tributed for "Mystik Wok" or "Cannon Soldier", the last thing that happened was that those effects resolved, so the effect of "Peten" does not activate.
This is because you first Tribute "Peten the Dark Clown" as a cost, and afterwards "Mystik Wok" resolves and increases your Life Points. The last thing to happen was not "Peten the Dark Clown" being Tributed, so "Peten the Dark Clown" misses the timing.

When you activate a new Field Spell while you control a Face-up Geartown, then the last thing that would happen would be the resolution of the new field spell. Geartown lets you choose to special summon an Ancient Gear monster when it is destroyed and sent to the graveyard but since it wasn't the last thing that happened, Geartown's effect misses the timing, therefore you can't summon and Ancient Gear monster.

Priority
Priority can be defined as "A player's 'right' to be able to activate his/her effect, ensuring its spot on chain link 1. Priority does not allow players to automatically activate and resolve effects without a chain; it simply assures a card's activation (not resolution), and guarantees a place on chain link 1. How the chain resolves is up to the players.

Priority tells you who can activate an effect at any certain point in the game. Note that cards never have priority; it is the players who have priority. The Turn Player always starts with priority.

Examples:
Player A has a face-up "D.D. Warrior Lady". He sets a face-down "Bottomless Trap Hole", and ends his turn.

Player B Special Summons "Chaos Sorcerer".

Player B, now being the turn player, says he wishes to retain his priority to activate the effect of "Chaos Sorcerer". "Chaos Sorcerer"'s Ignition Effect then activates, targeting "D.D. Warrior Lady". "Chaos Sorcerer"'s effect is now Chain Link 1. Player A then activates his "Bottomless Trap Hole", since the Special Summon of "Chaos Sorcerer" was the last action to have resolved on the field. "Bottomless Trap Hole" is now Chain Link 2.

The chain now resolves in reverse:

Chain Link 2: "Bottomless Trap Hole" resolves. "Chaos Sorcerer" is destroyed, and removed from play.
Chain Link 1: "Chaos Sorcerer"'s effect resolves. "D.D. Warrior Lady" is now removed from play.
Always remember that Monster Effects, unless they specify otherwise, can have their effects resolved without being present on the field.

Card Rulings:

Light and Darkness Dragon:

Arrow "Light and Darkness Dragon" will also negate the effect of a monster which activates in the hand. The monster will not be sent to the Graveyard.
->If the effect of "Gorz the Emissary of Darkness" is negated, then its effect to Special Summon itself cannot be activated again, unless you are receiving Damage for a second time.
->If "Kuriboh" or "Thunder Dragon" has its effect negated by "Light and Darkness Dragon", then it was discarded as a cost, so it does not return to the hand.

that's all for now O_o

Back to top Go down
PEPITO1O1O
Dark Magician Dorm Leader
Dark Magician Dorm Leader
PEPITO1O1O

Deck Master : Power Kid Shapeless-Aqua
Shadow Tokens : 1325

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:35 am

Well the ruleing is kinda on the wiki page :/ but you can keep this up.
Hopefully though when DS makes the rulings and what not in the Official Rules Of Dueling area, we might be able to organize card rulings into that area as well Smile
Back to top Go down
https://dmarp.forumotion.com
ezalor_2510
ezalor_2510

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 5:54 pm

lolz, I made this cuz when DS and i dueled, there were some rulings that needed confirmation and the duel kinda screwed up because we didn't know what the hell is supposed to happen XD
Back to top Go down
Dark Seraphim
Magician Of Black Chaos Dorm Leader
Dark Seraphim

Deck Master : Dark Destiny - Seraphim
Shadow Tokens : 186

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 5:57 pm

yeah, it was a good duel nonetheless, and I got to see Eza's deck for the upcoming tournament :p
Back to top Go down
ezalor_2510
ezalor_2510

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 5:59 pm

that wasn't wut i was gonna use >.> <.<

maybe....lolz
Back to top Go down
Dark Seraphim
Dark Seraphim

Deck Master : Dark Destiny - Seraphim
Shadow Tokens : 186

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:00 pm

Oh well, it was still a good deck:D
Back to top Go down
ezalor_2510
ezalor_2510

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks Very Happy

so since ur good at rulings, here's my question:

If you used Dandylion as a Synchro Material for Black Rose Dragon, then you use it's effect to nuke the field, do you still get the fluff tokens? Chibi

maybe I should add this to the first post so everyone can see Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Darkonekosuke
Untested
Untested

Deck Master : Exodius the Ultimate Forbidden Lord
Shadow Tokens : 99

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 pm

yes, since Black rose is summoned you can then activate its effect; when dandylion's effect goes off, the dragon is already gone
Back to top Go down
Raize
Dark Magician Girl Dorm Member
Dark Magician Girl Dorm Member
Raize

Deck Master : Lightning Conger
Shadow Tokens : 111

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:37 pm

ezalor_2510 wrote:
that wasn't wut i was gonna use >.> <.<

maybe....lolz

lol I'm already prepared for your little robots. Chibi
Back to top Go down
ezalor_2510
ezalor_2510

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 3:57 am

What happens when Ally of Justice Catastor attacks Neo Spacian Grand Mole? Surprised
Back to top Go down
Darkonekosuke
Untested
Untested

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 7:22 pm

since Grand Mole's effect is optional and Catastor's isn't Catastor's effect will automatically become chain link 1 and grand mole's effect will become chain link 2. The chain will resolve backwards bouncing both monsters to the hand (Catastor to the extra deck) and causing Catastor's effect to fizzle.
Back to top Go down
ezalor_2510
ezalor_2510

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 1:28 am

thanks for that.

What happens when 2 catastors attack each other while the continuous trap, DNA Transplant is treating them both as light monsters?
Back to top Go down
Darkonekosuke
Untested
Untested

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 2:24 am

they would both die:
the attacking catastor's effect would activate, then the second one would cause a chain link 2
resolving backwards, Catastor 1 would blow up then so would Catastor 2 (because monster effects can resolve while they are dead)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Card Rulings and Mechanics   Card Rulings and Mechanics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Card Rulings and Mechanics
Page 1 of 1